[nos-bbs] B2F (compression) success !!!

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sat Mar 29 11:41:52 EDT 2008

Bill wrote :

> JNOS ... supports ... legacy BBS forwarding techniques.

JNOS *will* very soon support B2F, including attachments, etc.

Be careful. From a technical point of view, there is really very
little different between the 'legacy BBS forwarding' you refer to,
and the latest enhanced BBS forwarding offered by WinLink. The only
difference that I see is the addition of a 2 byte CRC to checksum
the compressed payload, and the mail headers are now completely
contained in the payload, and no longer part of the FBB proposal.

That's it. I actually like the B2F method, the multiple recipients,
the attachments, etc. I'm looking forward to getting this working.

> if a stripped down version of JNOS was built ... it would
> essentially be Airmail with B1, but not B2F forwarding ...

Why ? By doing that you exclude JNOS from any possibility of
integrating with the more modern systems. That's important, don't
you think ?

> they have "simplified packet," sped it up ...

You mean you can speed up packet by changing applications :)

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM