[nos-bbs] Linux setup + Ubuntu 7.10

Bob Tenty bobtenty at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 23 07:31:13 EDT 2008

Maybe the following helps those who have problems with starting ax25
interfaces in Ubuntu 7.10

All the interfaces including ax25 have to be started from
/etc/network/interfaces.
Starting these interfaces from rc.local can lead to all kind of
difficulties.

Setup of ax25 interfaces from  rc.local has to be avoided as Ubunto 7.10
is running UPSTART
instead of system V init  and this is an event based replacement for the
init daemon.

#/etc/network/interfaces
#ham radio interfaces part

auto sl0 sl1 sm0 ax0 ax1 nr0 nr1

# xnet slip interface
iface sl0 inet static
        address 44.135.84.80
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        pointopoint 44.135.84.81
        pre-up /usr/local/hamradio/bin/ensure-slip.sh /dev/ptypa /dev/ptype
        pre-down /usr/local/hamradio/bin/ensure-slip.sh

# jnos slip interface
iface sl1 inet static
        address 44.135.84.80
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        pointopoint 44.135.84.82
        pre-up /usr/local/hamradio/bin/ensure-slip.sh /dev/ptypa /dev/ptype
        pre-down /usr/local/hamradio/bin/ensure-slip.sh

# ax25 interfaces

# soundmodem interface

iface sm0 inet static
        address 44.135.84.80
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        pre-up /usr/local/hamradio/bin/sndmodem.sh
        pre-down /usr/local/hamradio/bin/sndmodem.sh

# ax25 link to jnos port: link
iface ax0 inet static
       address 44.135.84.80
       netmask 255.255.255.255
       pre-up /usr/local/hamradio/bin/kiss.sh /dev/ptyp1 link
       pre-down  /usr/local/hamradio/bin/kiss.sh

# ax25 link to xnet port: xnet

iface ax1 inet static
       address 44.135.84.80
       netmask 255.255.255.255
       pre-up /usr/local/hamradio/bin/kiss.sh /dev/ptyp2 xnet
       pre-down  /usr/local/hamradio/bin/kiss.sh

# netrom interface nr0

iface nr0 inet static
        address 44.135.84.80
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        hwaddress netrom va3tok-7

# netrom interface nr1

iface nr1 inet static
        address 44.135.84.80
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        hwaddress netrom va3tok-10

--

The ".sh" files are bash script files

kiss.sh  starts the kissinterface (kissattach)  (or brings it down) and
sets also pid files
ensure-slip.sh is the same for slip (slattattach) + pid files

UPSTART/Ubuntu 7.10 has no inittab file anymore

jnos and xnet are started from the /etc/event.d/ directory in their
respective virtual tty's,

for example jnos is started from the file "tty8" with:

(replacing "exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty8")

exec /sbin/rungetty -u  hamradio  -w /usr/local/hamradio/jnos tty8
/usr/local/hamradio/jnos/dojnos

The only thing what is starting  from rc.local are mostly the ax25
daemons like ax25d, etc.

Maybe this helps :=)

73,

Bob VE3TOK