[nos-bbs] NOS and Airmail

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:09:38 EDT 2008

>  > I believe the WL2K folks have moved completely to their
>  > enhanced BBS forwarding protocol and we're now completely
>  > locked out from participating with them
>
>  You believe or you are certain ?

I have a sample size of one...

I've used JNOS to transfer messages to/from a telpac gateway in the
past.  That worked fine.   I tried last week and the message I
received from the WL2K was "use B2F - goodbye"

There may be another issue coming too.  Several months ago I was using
JNOS to poll another Telpac station which was hooked up to an
experimental WL2K server.  It refused to access Internet addresses
without the "SMTP" windows addressing scheme of:  sp SMTP:nwp at wa7.com

>  > which probably isn't a bad thing.  :-)
>
>  Not to troll, but why exactly is that not a bad thing :-)

It'll be incentive for us/me to both finally get B2F working and to
work with the multitude of  other NOS/AX25 based modes.  Some of the
WL2K applications make things too easy.

As much as the IP purists may shudder to realize the B2F is just an
enhanced BBS mode "hack" -- it's still the best thing we (amateurs)
have for sending messages on our pokey slow links.

I'm looking forward, once we have B2F, to take it a step further (B3G?
:-)  ) with an intermediate compression tool that's not 20 years old
and thus about 50% more efficient.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LHA_%28file_format%29

>  > login: WA7NWP
>  > Password [47d7ed00] : ÿû[01]********
>  > ÿü[01]
>  > [JNOS-2.0f-BFHIM$]
>  >>
>  > [AirMail-3.3.081-B1FHIM$]
>  > ; WA7NWP-3 de WA7NWP
>  > FF
>  > Huh?
>
>  Okay, so you're trying to initiate a telnet connection FROM
>  the Airmail client TO the JNOS system. Okay, honestly I never
>  tried to do that.

Airmail is a great Windows messaging client.  I like it so much I call
it a stripped down version of JNOS packaged for windows.   :-)   Being
able to use it to access our core JNOS servers would be very handy.

>  I have done this FROM the JNOS system TO the airmail system,
>  but there is a 'telpac' option you need to specify in the
>  forward.bbs file for that.

I need to try that too.  Right now the home hardware is such that JNOS
is on a channel with no Airmail servers and the Airmail box is
frequency bound on a channel with no JNOS..   Fortunately the Internet
is a common connection for all of them.

>  > *** Error: Bad proposal code: Huh
>  > ; WA7NWP-3 de WA7NWP SK
>  > <protocol disconnect>
>
>  Probably the '\r' or '\n' end of line mapping. The Airmail forward
>  over telnet appears to be like that old XFBB stuff which if you check
>  the JNOS code, *complains* about newline mapping issues.

That certain makes sense.  Hmmm.  Maybe yet another "user" option to
switch the newline mapping for the session.

>  Maiko

Bill - WA7NWP