[nos-bbs] A patch to JNOS2.0f is released

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 27 15:01:31 EDT 2008

Greetings.

The Beta testing has been successful, so it is time to make the "bb"
patch available for JNOS.  It addresses the TCP protocol use of historic
measurements of round-trip-time [RTT] for packet acknowledgment and
improves the performance of re-transmittal protocol.

The short background is:
I found my station buried beneath huge quantities of unneeded repeat
packets -- TCP was badly deciding that packets were lost.  The work
following discovery led to two changes that have improved life here:

First, former session measurements of RTT were being lost and thus IRTT
was being applied too often resulting in the need to re-learn the
characteristics of the connection.

Second, the time-to-wait formula was changed and IRTT was used to also
set MDEV factor which improved accuracy and shortened learning time.
This change may be switched on & off.

The details in this work are found in the "readme-bb" file that is part
of the released material.  My code base is Maiko's jnos2.0f, so direct
module substitution works.  There is no conflict with the recent 2.0f2
patch, I am running both.  This patch does contain a modified config.h
so some editing on that file for local conditions is a must.

If your code base is an earlier jnos, I expect direct substitution is
not applicable.  I did note that the area of my changes seem to go way
back in history, so it may be straight forward to apply the change to
earlier jnos revisions thru editing rather than substitution.

Access to this patch is thru the wiki at http://jnoswiki.no-ip.org/ then
follow the path: SoftwareInstall -- PATCHES TO SOFTWARE -- SoftwarePatch
-- Attachments.  Some of the surrounding text may also be useful.

As with all GPL software, expect the unexpected.  Let me [us] know if
this causes grief.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k