[nos-bbs] New to packet, running linux, looking for some advice

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 21 17:09:04 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:18 -0500, Chris wrote:
> O.k., I'm very new to packet and my situation is this
You have come to a good spot, I expect my response will be one of many.
It appears you have dabbled fairly deeply, please allow me to offer the
assistance of a documentation site for jnos at jnoswiki.no-ip.org with a
search engine you might find useful to zero into subjects.  I hope you
find it suitable to many of your questions, I am extremely interested
when it fails to answer the issue of your day and I hope you will alert
me when the wiki fails.

>>SNIP<<
>
>    pms doesn't appear to be included in the Ubuntu ax25* packages and trying to
>       get that compiled didn't work out so well for me.  (I'm an
> admin, but not a coder at all)
If your only packet software is to be jnos, it does not require the ax25
library because the jnos source stands on it's own and that particular
library will be ignored (but it won't hurt anything).  The jnos2.0f
includes the features you look for in the distributed binary [per my
less-than-perfect memory], you will only have to make a new binary to
revise the configuration.

On the other hand, if you choose to mingle ax25 based applications and
jnos simultaneously, have you avoided resource conflicts?

>     I've compiled and installed JNOS2 and can't quite figure out the
> tun interface so it can do
>        something useful via my internet connection.
I took a brief look at your autoexec.nos and did not see a shell out to
enable forwarding in the linux stack.  Tun needs it, but the linux
default is usually OFF...  Because forwarding can be set up in the jnos
script, in the /etc/rc.d, by a script that starts jnos, or other
times/places, this may be a non-issue.  Just don't ignore the forwarding
switch in /proc...

Best wishes in your pursuit on ham radio.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k