[nos-bbs] New to packet, running linux, looking for some advice

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:18:51 EST 2008

O.k., I'm very new to packet and my situation is this

PK-88 in KISS mode, with Ubuntu 7.10 linux for ax25/netrom (so far)

I don't have a dedicated radio yet so this is more of an
experimentation phase for me, currently running an FT-7800 at 1200b
for 2m only.

I would like to have something set up so that when I am on packet I
can get the following functionality.

A converse/chat mode so people can 'talk' to me by connecting.
     I have 'node' set up and the 'talk' works, but confuses people it
seems.  I just today
     added the ttylinkd port below, but haven't tried it yet, maybe
that will do what I need.

     I can also ping and telnet in 'node' o.k.

    Lets call this KC2RGW

A digi basically or maybe that's the wrong term, but a way for people
to hop through me.

     This is what I think 'node' is for and that is KC2RGW-2

A mail box, nothing fancy, but something similar to what is built into some TNCs

     This is intended to be KC2RGW-4, the configs may not reflect it
in their current state as
      I spent probably ten hours hacking at this yesterday until I was
completely mental and
      I'm  not even sure what state I left the configs in...though I
did have JNOS and even fbb
      running on KC2RGW-4 several times....what a long day.

   pms doesn't appear to be included in the Ubuntu ax25* packages and trying to
      get that compiled didn't work out so well for me.  (I'm an
admin, but not a coder at all)

    I've compiled and installed JNOS2 and can't quite figure out the
tun interface so it can do
       something useful via my internet connection.  The rest of it
works, but not mail and the
       things that require networking to work.  Unlike fbb if I
understand it, it doesn't handle mail
       in the 'bbs' sort of way like fbb does???  I can send a message
and it gets queued but it
       never shows in the 'list' commands.

Currently some of the config information is

   axports

ax0     KC2RGW          1200    255     2       1200 bps FN20wj Middletown

   ax25d.conf

[ax0]
NOCALL    * * * * * * L
default   * * * * * * -         root    /usr/sbin/ttylinkd      ttylinkd

[KC2RGW-2 via ax0]
NOCALL    * * * * * * L
default   * * * * * * -         root    /usr/sbin/node          node

<netrom>
NOCALL  * * * * * *  L
default * * * * * *  -  root  /usr/local/sbin/ttylinkd  ttylinkd

My local LAN is  172.19.1.0/24
default gw is 172.19.1.1

I don't have an ampr address, they seem to be dead??...the
coordination list is locked up and not viewable too.  Not sure what I
do about that if I want to open my node up too...any advice
appreciated.

So I'm attaching two files, my 'packetup' script when I just use the
TNC in KISS mode and the autoexec.nos for if I run JNOS2.  I'm certain
that I'm doing something wrong here and after a marathon day yesterday
of installing and uninstalling many things, my brain is a bit of
Jello.

Any advice appreciated and frankly if anyone is super slick with all
of this, I'm in Middletown NJ and would gladly sit in on a lecture or
sit in for some elmering if anyone is interested.

I'm a sysadmin by trade and I'm fairly certain I'm overthinking
something or overlooking something very dumb here.

Thanks much, sorry for the ramble