[nos-bbs] a new gdb issue

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 18 13:40:16 EST 2008

Greetings to all.

I have routinely used gdb at times of collecting operational data about
jnos.  Today I tried to resume the process after an idle [no gdb info
collected / jnos has operated 24/7 OK] month and found a new wrinkle I
don't understand.

Jnos is running and I started gdb on it's own session with attach to
jnos using the command:
  # gdb /jnos/jnos 12345
The new "warning" response I got troubles me -- it had multiple
instances of the following sequence cut from the screen dump:
Reading symbols from /lib/libtinfo.so.5...
warning: Missing the separate debug info file:
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/af/9d8e0
17bca658da6adef0e9493a047bc1e6e09.debug
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libtinfo.so.5
For example, this was repeated for ...so.5, ...so.2, ...so.6, and
others.

What has changed here since the last successful gdb session?
First - nothing related to jnos -- rev 2.0f (modified 11/3/07)
Second - the platform has been upgraded from FC-7 to FC-8.

Now, as part of the upgrade I expect gcc and support libraries are at a
new rev level.  After repeating the jnos "make" today on FC-8 the
results are the same.  With reference to the warning message, the
directory:
  /usr/lib/debug
does not exist now -- I don't remember if it did under FC-7 or not...

So there it is -- maybe FC-8 has offered up a new challenge?
Please give any feedback that seems appropriate.  Let me know what
detail I can collect and pass around for info...   [THANKS!]

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k