[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 29 16:21:41 EDT 2007

Kewl Jay - just a little feedback here...

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 15:16 -0500, Jay Nugent wrote:

> Greetings Skip (et al),

>>SNIP<<

>    Also, 'ps aux | grep nos' aught to show you the process...

Yes - the process is there but as you point out it is not a resource
"hog".
I have no need for the billing functions of the op-sys, so I don't see
small use processes usually.
My tools are the GUI performance monitoring kind - jnos just remains
under the radar.
I do see that "top" reports down to 0.1% CPU or 1 part in 1000, I just
can't load up jnos to appear there.
AND what I see is usually a transient thing - blink and it's gone...

But don't miss my point: jnos seems a bit erratic at "presenting a
response".
I can not assign the cause to the operating system - other applications
do not show the same behavior.
Further - I see it to various degrees in every jnos I talk to (Dave is
tougher than Joe for example).
What I have not been able to do is separate the radio effects from the
computer effects.
I remember what you told me: The problem with packet radio is radio.

Besides that: If I knew "the answer" then I'd need to change my job
description?
:-)

> >>SNIP<< a full minute to test.

I have noticed the group of 4 and spacing from listening to your query
at my end.
I use similar syntax regularly from the LAN side.
Dave and I have been "playing" with vc and datagram for several months.
Interestingly enough - the response time regularly goes LONGER for vc
per your poling report.
The datagram does require the ARC overhead, but seems quicker
anyway...(usually).
We have also put each other in the ARC cache permanently and not seen
much impact in timing.

>    Enjoy!
>       ---Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
>

>>SNIP<<
THANKS for your reply - good to hear from you.
The snow is gone from this side of the state / the boat now gets more
attention.
See ya soon  -  73    Skip

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k