[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Mar 29 16:16:52 EDT 2007

Greetings Skip (et al),

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, (Skip) K8RRA wrote:

> I had jnos die recently for a non-reproducible circumstance.(during
> "connect") I had ping to jnos respond YERY slow for one out of a dozen..
> (25ms vs 0.4ms normal) I had "ping" to an IP release an avalanche of
> unrelated RF activity with the other node (also jnos). I never have jnos
> show up on my system utilization database (cpu or any other resource).
> There are more - but here is the "drift".

   The JNOS process probably doesn't show up in 'top' because it uses *so*
little CPU and memory resources.  One way to see the process might be to
tell 'top' (with the 'u' command) to only show the particular User you
have the JNOS application running as (I believe it usually runs as root).

   Also, 'ps aux | grep nos' aught to show you the process...

   As for pinging.  Be *very* careful when sending pings from an Internet
box (Linux, WinBlows, a router, etc.) to a 44-net address.  PING by
default will send a 64-byte packet once every second and will expect a
reply within a predetermined (rather short) timeout.  The Internet is
*WAY* faster than our RF networks, hence the tools are tuned to Internet
timings.  On a 1200-baud RF path a conventional ping will fail miserably
and will often cause ALOT of ICMP/Ping packets to get clogged up and then
burst out over the air all at once!  This may be what you are
experiencing.

   In these situations you will need to *pace* your pings in order to get
clean responses.  I have to do this with my Michigan AMPRnet monitoring
tools.  The ping syntax is as follows:

   ping -i 15 -c 4 44.102.132.20

   This will send 4 individual pings spaced out 15 seconds apart.  The -c
flag sets the "count" and the -i flag sets the "interval".  Remember that
the first ping will cause the two RF stations to exchange ARP information,
eating even more RF bandwidth.  But even at 1200 baud half-duplex 15
seconds is usually enough time for this to happen.  The subsequent pings
will more accurately reflect the actual "round trip time" RTT.  And yes,
this technique takes a full minute to test.

   Enjoy!
      ---Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0851/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |