[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Mar 29 13:21:53 EDT 2007

Greetings,

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:

> Hi Misko and group,
>
> > You are right, but what to do in a case when a system 'freezes' due to a very
> > large incoming mail ... remove greater mails from the queue ...
>
> I have run into a very interesting situation lately where if I dare try
> to read some of the SPAM coming in from the internet side, JNOS freezes
> and I actually have to kill the JNOS process from the linux side.
>
> Why this is happening I do not know (yet), but it could be related to
> message size, a buffer overflow perhaps (subject or something else),
> whatever the reason I am still trying to track it down. Unfortunately,
> I deleted the messages causing this, but hopefully more will come in.
>
> I use the *rewrite* file mostly as white/black list, so ALL of
> the SPAM I ever get always gets sent to my check area. Some of
> the latest SPAM messages hang my JNOS if I dare try and READ
> the contents of the messages.
>
> I will see what I can do regarding that and your original problem.
>
> I am looking at this from the point of "I don't want NOS to hang
> because of an over sized file coming in", instead of "Users should
> not be sending over sized file to NOS". Sometimes one does not have
> any choice or control over receiving these files.

   On all the JNOS/Hamgate boxes we have deployed around Michigan we have
blocked ALL incoming SMTP from the Internet.  This way no unwelcomed email
ever appears on the RF links nor do we have have to clean up the mess in
/nos/spool/mqueue that results from all the spam.  To do this we added the
following firewall rule:

  #
  # Do NOT allow inbound SMTP connectins from the Internet
  tcp access deny       all                                    25    25
  #

   Those nodes that have the need or desire to move mail in and out of the
AMPRnet network (and have the smarts to do it) use their Linux boxes to
POP mail on and off.  Seems to have worked nicely thus far :)

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0851/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |