[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 29 13:07:17 EDT 2007

Maiko, I have seen something that has to be a classical "long shot".

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:45 -0500, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:

> Hi Misko and group,
>
> > You are right, but what to do in a case when a system 'freezes' due to a very
> > large incoming mail ... remove greater mails from the queue ...
>
> I have run into a very interesting situation lately where if I dare try
> to read some of the SPAM coming in from the internet side, JNOS freezes
> and I actually have to kill the JNOS process from the linux side.

I had jnos die recently for a non-reproducible circumstance.(during
"connect")
I had ping to jnos respond YERY slow for one out of a dozen.. (25ms vs
0.4ms normal)
I had "ping" to an IP release an avalanche of unrelated RF activity with
the other node (also jnos).
I never have jnos show up on my system utilization database (cpu or any
other resource).
There are more - but here is the "drift".

Jnos acts like there is a "pacing mechanism" at work to limit the
consumption of computer resources.
It effects response time to requests.
It effects buffer fill.
It effects *maybe* command output from "look" and less so "trace".

This is a WAG Maiko, this failure is related to a "deadly embrace" or
"resource starvation"..
It could be interrupt processing.
It could be process scheduling.
It could be *maybe* a unix platform issue only (except Miski is DOS? I
believe).
How's that for an opinion without proof?

And the worst news I have is that I have not been able to make a test
case out of it.
So far.

> Why this is happening I do not know (yet), but it could be related to
> message size, a buffer overflow perhaps (subject or something else),
> whatever the reason I am still trying to track it down. Unfortunately,
> I deleted the messages causing this, but hopefully more will come in.
>
> I use the *rewrite* file mostly as white/black list, so ALL of
> the SPAM I ever get always gets sent to my check area. Some of
> the latest SPAM messages hang my JNOS if I dare try and READ
> the contents of the messages.
>
> I will see what I can do regarding that and your original problem.
>
> I am looking at this from the point of "I don't want NOS to hang
> because of an over sized file coming in", instead of "Users should
> not be sending over sized file to NOS". Sometimes one does not have
> any choice or control over receiving these files.

I'm intrigued by this mail handling set of issues.
I feel a need to quantify them and display them on the wiki for others
to use.
That includes Jay's observations in another mail as it relates to
configuration options.

Related to a potential "bug"...
If I can be told what to look for - perhaps also how to look - I'd be
delighted to help on this "hard spot".

> Maiko

de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k