[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Mar 29 10:45:11 EDT 2007

Hi Misko and group,

> You are right, but what to do in a case when a system 'freezes' due to a very
> large incoming mail ... remove greater mails from the queue ...

I have run into a very interesting situation lately where if I dare try
to read some of the SPAM coming in from the internet side, JNOS freezes
and I actually have to kill the JNOS process from the linux side.

Why this is happening I do not know (yet), but it could be related to
message size, a buffer overflow perhaps (subject or something else),
whatever the reason I am still trying to track it down. Unfortunately,
I deleted the messages causing this, but hopefully more will come in.

I use the *rewrite* file mostly as white/black list, so ALL of
the SPAM I ever get always gets sent to my check area. Some of
the latest SPAM messages hang my JNOS if I dare try and READ
the contents of the messages.

I will see what I can do regarding that and your original problem.

I am looking at this from the point of "I don't want NOS to hang
because of an over sized file coming in", instead of "Users should
not be sending over sized file to NOS". Sometimes one does not have
any choice or control over receiving these files.

Maiko