[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) skoric at ptt.yu
Thu Mar 29 00:57:39 EDT 2007

Barry Siegfried wrote:

>>- How to switch off that nasty 'beep' in JNOS after any line of "New
>>mail for ...".
>
> net> smtp quiet on

Thank you Barry.

> Probably not because this was done intentionally and by design.  If
> memory serves me correctly, the 'areas' file was intended to define
> which email mailfiles are to be considered "public" (i.e. may be read
> by everyone).  I don't think you'd want every mailbox user's mailfile
> to be considered public.

Of course not. But when a JNOS mailbox is going to be filled with
bulletins having all possible values within the 'To:' field, the
question is if a sysop should read all messages in his/her system and
determine if there is a new 'To:' field message that might be interested
for his/her users - and to enable users to read it, the 'areas' file
should be changed manually again and again. Seems to me as a not so
rational solution for a busy sysop.I mean, just imagine a new bulletin
has been forwarded to the JNOS mailbox. And that new bull has completely
new 'To:' field. If I understood your explanation properly, that would
mean the bulletin can't be read by everyone on the JNOS mailbox - as
long as the sysop adds the new value to the 'areas' file. Is that correct?

Regards,

Misko YT7MPB