[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Mar 27 21:22:36 EDT 2007

Good evening Misko, It seems that your mail issues have not "gone away"?
I also see Barry's response that I can add nothing to.
I have a documentation topic, not a direct answer.
It is more exploratory...

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 00:22 +0200, Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I somehow managed to make some forwarding between my LinFBB comp and
> 80286 JNOS box. I have some questions related to setup of things:
>
> - Seems that JNOS box is not capable to handle messages larger than say
> 10 kb. Ok, I put a line "T S 5" (smaller first, 5 kb max) into the FBB's
> forwarding block, but it seems that even then there are several 10-15-20
> or even larger messages waiting in the forwarding queue. Now it makes me
> wonder if it is possible to configure JNOS to reject all that seems to
> be larger than it can handle.

I am preparing to live aboard a boat for 3 to 5 years, this feature is a
wonderful tool.
Allow me to suggest that mail greater than <size> should in fact be
received but not forwarded.
This permits small mail to be retrieved on board at HF speeds sooner,
and large at VHF/UHF (Internet) speeds later.
If the old mail has mold on it - I'm OK with that...

Of course that presupposes I can perhaps change a remote forwarding
partner configuration and he has large mail storage available...

> - How to switch off that nasty 'beep' in JNOS after any line of "New
> mail for ...".
>
> - It looks that JNOS welcomes all incoming mail regardless of their 'To'
> fields, but it lists only those messages that exist within the 'areas'
> file. Is it possible to configure it to self-adapt the 'areas' file
> automatically with any new incoming mail?
>
> - Finally (for now): Is it possible to change the JNOS's From field in a
> way it looks more similar to FBB's From field? I mean, it seems odd to
> look into all those <callsign>%<fbb_bbs_callsign>@<callsign>.ampr.org in
> a situation when I only want to have an AX.25 JNOS mailbox which, in
> turn, exchange packet bulletins with a single FBB system.
>
> Regards,
>
> Misko YT7MPB

Now for the documentation:
I have interest in how you configure for the features you want, remember
"show & tell" in early schools?
To the purpose of passing on wisdom for jnos2, I created a wiki for our
community / it does not compete with [nos-bbs] or any developer or any
version of nos.

As an experiment, I extracted your Feb 27 mail with attachment to place
in the ConfigHFile page because it added to the knowledge of that file
for your circumstances.  I did it without your permission thus I will
immediately undo my experiment if you desire.  To me, your example
seemed to fit...  You may inspect it any time to draw your conclusions.

To the point of this mail of yours, you may feel it needed to modify
your work I have used after you complete your objectives.  At any time
if you do, please feel free to edit it directly yourself (or send me
update).  I welcome your future learning if you want to share it.

Good luck with your mail forwarding and other configuration choices.
I hope you find my experiment OK with yourself.
Thanks!

de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k