[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Tue Mar 27 18:37:41 EDT 2007

["Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)" <skoric at ptt.yu> wrote]:

I'll take a stab at some of these:

> I somehow managed to make some forwarding between my LinFBB comp and
> 80286 JNOS box. I have some questions related to setup of things:
>
> - Seems that JNOS box is not capable to handle messages larger than say
> 10 kb. Ok, I put a line "T S 5" (smaller first, 5 kb max) into the FBB's
> forwarding block, but it seems that even then there are several 10-15-20
> or even larger messages waiting in the forwarding queue. Now it makes me
> wonder if it is possible to configure JNOS to reject all that seems to
> be larger than it can handle.
>
> - How to switch off that nasty 'beep' in JNOS after any line of "New
> mail for ...".

net> smtp quiet on

> - It looks that JNOS welcomes all incoming mail regardless of their 'To'
> fields, but it lists only those messages that exist within the 'areas'
> file. Is it possible to configure it to self-adapt the 'areas' file
> automatically with any new incoming mail?

Probably not because this was done intentionally and by design.  If
memory serves me correctly, the 'areas' file was intended to define
which email mailfiles are to be considered "public" (i.e. may be read
by everyone).  I don't think you'd want every mailbox user's mailfile
to be considered public.

> - Finally (for now): Is it possible to change the JNOS's From field in a
> way it looks more similar to FBB's From field? I mean, it seems odd to
> look into all those <callsign>%<fbb_bbs_callsign>@<callsign>.ampr.org in
> a situation when I only want to have an AX.25 JNOS mailbox which, in
> turn, exchange packet bulletins with a single FBB system.

Probably not, because JNOS is not FBB (and it never will be).  FBB is
an extremely good PBBS and it is excellent at what it does.  On the
other hand, JNOS implements TCP/IP-based packet switching and services
(which uses SMTP-style email addresses) that was hacked to provide some
rudimentary PBBS functionality and permit the translation of SMTP-based
email into PBBS messages and vice versa.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |