[nos-bbs] TNC reset

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Wed Mar 14 03:25:25 EDT 2007

[Jerry and Michele Groeneveld <gagroeneveld at cpinternet.com> wrote]:

> On rare occasions if a Kantronics tnc locks up on the jnos system,
> I use the ALT 192, ALT 255, ALT 192 sequence to get the tnc back to
> terminal mode and then int kiss to return to KISS mode.  That is
> very easy at the terminal.  If I am accessing the node remotely via
> a working port, is there a way to use the 'comm port instruction'
> command to send the hex equivalent of the ALT codes, C0 FF C0 to
> get the tnc out of KISS mode and back to terminal mode?  I would
> then use 'comm port "int kiss"' to get back to KISS mode.  If this
> is possible, can someone tell me how to format the 'comm port' line
> to send the ALT code or hex code reset sequence.  Would I use three
> separate lines of command maybe followed by a reset?

Unfortunately, doasycomm() (the subfunction which executes the
the 'comm <asy_interface> "<text_string>"' command isn't programmed
to parse individual hex digits out of "<text string>".

But perhaps from wherever you are connecting to the NOS machine
remotely you can add the Alt-key sequencies to the 'comm' command
string on the fly as you are typing it?  In other words:

Net-R> comm <asy_interface> "<alt-192><alt-255><alt-192>"
Net-R> comm <asy_interface> "int kiss"

Or, perhaps you could put the 'comm' commands into a text file and
then 'upload' the text file over the remote connection to the NOS
machine?

It seems to me the only issue with doing either of the above from
the telnet client's perspective is whether or not the client you
are using to connect to NOS remotely will send the non-printable
Alt-key characters to the other side of the telnet connection.

BUT!  Even if your telnet client would allow this, I do believe
that it is quite probable that the above will still not work,
because most telnet server command parsers (i.e. mboxrecvline()
in NOS which parses commands for the NOS mailbox and rlogin
connections) consider the character 'FF' (Alt-255) to be the IAC
(escape) character for a telnet option to follow and it will never
deliver the 'FF' character to the application (your resulting
command line on the NOS machine).

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |