[nos-bbs] Crusin' in my DOS Box :-)

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Apr 25 21:09:00 EDT 2007

Far from "nobody" you guys, canned new installs are still available into
Mich as we speak.  DOS is still a viable platform here.

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 19:41 -0400, Barry Siegfried wrote:
> ["Steven Stimpson" <steven2 at gwi.net> wrote]:
>
> > Using bcc 3.1 I compiled a really big NOS.exe yesterday. I packed in
> > as much stuff as I could imagine that would actually be used on the
> > air, and then added some more.  I have a nos.exe that will do smtp,
> > ftp, telnet, ttylink, finger, hopcheck, bbs... pretty much everything
> > except I ditched the POP3 SERVER, and the NNTP code.
Speaking of Documentation (as you do below), are you OK with describing
the steps and pitfalls in the compilation on DOS?  You might even attach
the config.h file to the page?  The wiki page InstallSourceDos is
waiting for you...:-)

> > I have 150k dos memory left over.  Last night I had my ethernet card
> > attached and monitoring, had a dialup modem connected also via ppp on
> > com1, and a kiss tnc on com2.  Configuration took under 20 minutes
> > from scratch, most of that time was spent on the dial script for the
> > dialup modem.
> >
> > Funny though was telnetting out the ethernet cable modem connection
> > and into the dialup connection to the BBS.  HopCheck was pretty cool
> > too.
If you enjoy the compilation step, we could add this to the network
topology section on configuration too...:-)

> > Big deal you say?  Well I did it with a miniscule operating system
> > and about 450K of conventional ram.
I've seen you guys take on DOS answers on this reflector that I
certainly can not answer with my small experience with DOS-jnos.

> > I am just wondering what the system requirements are of a 2.6.20
> > kernel compiled with the minimum necessary to get Jnos to be able
> > to ping www.google.com?
> >
> > This isn't an operating system comparison, or even an attempt at a
> > flame war.  It is a presentation, along with a request, that on both
> > the documentation side,
I can speak for this - I *want* to see DOS well represented on the wiki.
The truth is however I can only guess at the details - I have no
platform.
>  and the development side, a consideration is
> > kept for the capabilities of a 386 with DOS 6.2 and an ISA ethernet
> > card.
>
> Bravo to you, Steven!
Bravo indeed!