[nos-bbs] The sysop LOOK command (bug?)

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Apr 15 21:20:05 EDT 2007

Another command caused concern today - the LOOK command.
While a local user was logged in to my bbs via the 2-meter vhf packet -
I used LOOK CALL command.
While I watched he connected to another local station, did stuff,
returned to my bbs & then "bye".
The look session I initiated performed rather badly...

First the <CR> <LF> end of line worked differently than everything else
I have used on jnos.
The <LF> appeared to be missing so lines were (overwritten?).
The lines that stayed on the display were the ones that wrapped around
the col-80 end of screen.
The display never scrolled off the top - too little text was displayed.

Second most lines were "empty".  The <enter> from my keyboard was echoed
OK with <LF> active...
I can't sort out what happened to his text lines - the options:
  a) they were not written to the session.
  b) they were written to the session but because the <LF> failed the
line was immediately blanked.

Third the up-arrow and down-arrow keys scrolled thru the sysop command
history forward and backward directions thru the cache.  That is NOT
commands issued in the session but commands before entering the LOOK
session.  I did not attempt to execute them so I don't know what result
<enter> would have had.  While in sysop, the shift+up-arrow is
documented to do this / on my system it does not require the shift...

Fourth I attempted to chat with the caller - he did not respond.  This
may be a non-issue - I list it as an FYI only.

My purpose in posting this is to get confirmation that other versions
work the same way.
I am at jnos2.oe(+3 patches) on FC-6 platform.
Does anyone use LOOK successfully?

73