[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Wed Apr 4 01:56:19 EDT 2007

["Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)" <skoric at uns.ns.ac.yu> wrote]:

> It seems that I finally managed to establish forwarding between my
> DosJNOS 1.11f box and WinFBB 7.00i box over Ethernet (AXIP channel,
> running BPQ32 at WinFBB's comp). I have even managed to enable JNOS to
> run in 'mbox fbb 2' mode. So far - so good.
>
> The next issue is the following: The JNOS mailbox (bbs) callsign is
> YT7MPB-14 and FBB's bbs callsign is YT7MPB-9 (BPQ32 switch is YT7MPB-5)
> and my user call for manual accessing each of them is YT7MPB *no* SSID.
> I have configured JNOS "ftpusers" file to accept incoming connections by
> YT7MPB-9 with bbs privileges (forwarding) and YT7MPB in, say, sysop
> mode. That worked fine as long as those two callsigns were connecting
> locally or via telnet from the other machine (lan interface).
>
> After I enabled AXIP tunnel at JNOS, it seems that it somehow 'strips'
> (snips, whatever) the SSID of incoming connections, so YT7MPB-9 was
> recognized as YT7MPB (sysop but not bbs privileges). I mean, JNOS
> answers to that incoming connection of FBB as if it is from a user, not
> a bbs. Btw, I checked and double checked that FBB (YT7MPB-9) passes
> through the BPQ switch with a SSID and, also, it reaches JNOS side with
> the SSID (JNOS 'mbox' command says that it is still YT7MPB-9). But, the
> top second line of JNOS reports it is just YT7MPB without SSID. (BBS:
> yt7mpb).
>
> To prove that behavior, I made an incoming connection test from BPQ
> switch, using its callsign YT7MPB-5. It is also reported by 'mbox'
> command properly (Users: YT7MPB-5 via tunnel etc ...) but also treated
> by JNOS mailbox as without SSID.
>
> It seems to me that issue has something in connection with the AXIP
> interface but don't know what it might be.  Any idea?

Yes, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with your AXIP tunnel.

In mbx_getname() the callsign is stripped of its SSID if the protocol
of the incoming connection to the mailbox is AX.25 or Net/Rom.  It has
been this way since the beginning of time so that users who use the
mailbox gateway functions will go out with a "-15" SSID.  Unfortunately,
this *does* get in the way of trying to setup different sets of FTPuser
privileges using the same callsign when the protocol of the incoming
connection to the mailbox is AX.25 or Net/Rom.

In the past, we have solved the problem of PBBSs and users having
the same callsign by choosing another callsign entirely for the
connecting PBBS, or the user, whichever is your preference, so that
a separate entry may be put into the FTPusers file.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |