[nos-bbs] Situation: ifconfig port netmask <format>

K8RRA (Skip) k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 14 19:27:05 EDT 2006

This may be platform FC-5 specific...?
I have seen no nos-bbs traffic on the issue.

The command in autoexec.nos:
       ifconfig tun0 netmask 0xff000000
Followed by ifconfig produces the output:
       ...netmask 0xff000000...
Which is correct.  NOTE: documentation demonstrates this format.

But the command in autoexec.nos:
       ifconfig tun0 netmask 255.0.0.0
Followed by ifconfig produces the output:
       ...netmask 0x00000255...
Which is not correct.  NOTE: documentation does not demonstrate this
format but it is used in example autoexec.nos files.

I'm sad it took me so long to notice, jnos2.0d has been up here for
months on FC-5 without obvious defect.  I see nothing on the subject in
the change log for 2.0e.  If it is specific to FC-5, I suspect it may be
the glibc version difference I am running under - and not worth much
attention...

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k