[nos-bbs] Situation: ifconfig port netmask <format>

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Sep 22 11:15:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, K8RRA (Skip) wrote:

> ifconfig tun0 netmask 0xff000000

Generates correct behaviour

> ifconfig tun0 netmask 255.0.0.0

Is wrong in the sense that it is not documented that way, also I
took a look at the code. The passed address argument is directly
handed to the htol (hex to long) conversion function. So definitely
one is not supposed to use the decimal number convention when passing

> I see nothing on the subject in the change log for 2.0e.

It hasn't changed since before I got involved with NOS :-)

> If it is specific to FC-5 ...

It's not specific to any O/S - the code simply does not tell the user
that they did not use the proper convention. Guess I should put that
on my list of things to *fix*.

Thanks.

Maiko