[nos-bbs] JNOS PMBO - correction - should be using QRG, not Dial !

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 17 21:23:09 EDT 2006

Good info Steven.

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 17:52 -0400, Steven Stimpson (N1OHX) wrote:

> [...]

That is the standard 200hz split, but not the default SCS PCT- I or II
tones dialed up by my PCT-II.
I have not looked "under the covers" to find if SCS is offset a bit for
the default 1200/1400 or if airmail software sets the custom 1400/1600 -
the devil is in the detail...
>         > tone pairs. pactor2 can be inverted, like packet can.
>         > They publish the frequencies as CENTER. For Dial
>         > frequency you subtract 1.5. N7QDN is on 14.069.9 center,
>         > and the software does the math for you and insists
>         > 14.068.4 USB is your correct dial freq.

Makes sense.
Part of the point I raise is in the wide variety of TNC's and the
(seeming) lack of documentation treatment leaving you and me to engineer
a solution for ourselves.  Perhaps that is part of the hobby?
I have not exhausted the winlink documentation, so what I'm seeking may
be there.
On the other hand, winlink may publish the transmission standard as you
quote and leave calibration of our end to us depending on our choice of
equipment and software.
It is also true I don't know how many TNC's airmail automates...
>         >
>         >  SInce airmail may be used for some of these forwarding
>         > ideas,
>         > maybe the Winlink2K guidelines should be followed. Would
>         > be a lot easier for end-users if Jnos is put into service
>         > as an alternative to the standard MBO.

If ampr.org develops a hf pactor presence like winlink has, I expect
some standard will emerge?  In the meantime I expect airmail can get on
board with winlink interface automation without too much arithmetic.
And given the earlier data you can get within 100hz using Maiko's info,
or "exactly" on if you also have a DXP38 with defaults set.  For
example: under the presumption that DSP38 mark of 2125 is equivalent to
winlink 1600 mark, then report to airmail the Maiko USB frequency is
(2125-1600) = 525hz lower to "cheat" the existing config.  [I made a
couple assumptions that may red flag the above, but I'll stand by the
concept.]

I guess it remains to be seen if Maiko automates jnos as deeply as
airmail.  In some sense I hope *not*, or if he does that he chooses to
approach configuration with a script to accommodate adjustment for the
wide variety of TNCs that do pactor to some extent...

I'm thinking the variety justifies a paper on the subject.  Once you get
the RF frequencies straightened out, then comes the protocol I wish you
the best of luck...
>         >
>         > 73,
>         > Steven-n1ohx