[nos-bbs] Little forwarding hickup

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Oct 10 12:02:15 EDT 2006

wa7nwp schreef:

> In my experimenting with interacting with Airmail and KPC PBBS's, I've
> run into a little glitch.   I'll try to track it down tonight but here
> it is in case somebody else has already dealt with it.
>
> Airmail/Winlink has an "interesting" concept as using the SSID as part
> of the Email address.  As a result, if you set the Airmail Packet
> Server call to a SSID, that also sets you Email address.   Jerry,
> n7yge, here is using an Airmail server as n7yge-7.
>
> He sent a message to the State EOC from Airmail which was go be picked
> up my by NOS box and delivered to the State.
>
> Here's part of the header of the message on NOS.
>
>  >  n7yge-7%n7yge.bbs at WA7NWP.local
>
> So far so good.
>
> The problem occurs when JNOS tried to deliver it to the PBBS at the
> State EOC.  (Yeah I know..  Top station in the state with just a PBBS
> - we're working on that...)   In the message delivery command, JNOS
> drops the 7 so it looks something like:
>
>   sp  w7emd  < n7yge-  $messageID
>
> Apparently the KPC sees the n7yge-,  thinks it's a bogus call and
> aborts the connection.
>
> (Just tested it.  Tuesday at 8:20 - the Saturday SET message is
> finally delivered..   Ain't digital great!.   :-)   )
>
> Anyway,  I'll dig into it tonight.
>
> 73
> Bill

Most bbs systems are limited to 6 symbol calls, so if it was my call it
would have been truncated from pe1rdw-2 to just pe1rdw and no error
would show up but offcourse all messages would arive at the base call
nomatter what ssid it was send to.

Another thing to look out for with ssid based messages is when
connecting trough nodes, most node software inverts the ssid (pe1rdw-2
becomes pe1rdw-13) to overcome that the winlink folk hav added a n
symbol in the system information header (the one that shows what
forwarding protocols are available) n2 would be ssid -2 and n13 would be
ssid-13, there is still a bug in airmail as far as  know that limits
airmail to single digit ssid.

73 de Andre PE1RDW