[nos-bbs] Little forwarding hickup

wa7nwp wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Oct 10 11:22:51 EDT 2006

In my experimenting with interacting with Airmail and KPC PBBS's, I've
run into a little glitch.   I'll try to track it down tonight but here
it is in case somebody else has already dealt with it.

Airmail/Winlink has an "interesting" concept as using the SSID as part
of the Email address.  As a result, if you set the Airmail Packet Server
call to a SSID, that also sets you Email address.   Jerry, n7yge, here
is using an Airmail server as n7yge-7.

He sent a message to the State EOC from Airmail which was go be picked
up my by NOS box and delivered to the State.

Here's part of the header of the message on NOS.

  >  n7yge-7%n7yge.bbs at WA7NWP.local

So far so good.

The problem occurs when JNOS tried to deliver it to the PBBS at the
State EOC.  (Yeah I know..  Top station in the state with just a PBBS -
we're working on that...)   In the message delivery command, JNOS drops
the 7 so it looks something like:

   sp  w7emd  < n7yge-  $messageID

Apparently the KPC sees the n7yge-,  thinks it's a bogus call and aborts
the connection.

(Just tested it.  Tuesday at 8:20 - the Saturday SET message is finally
delivered..   Ain't digital great!.   :-)   )

Anyway,  I'll dig into it tonight.

73
Bill