[nos-bbs] JNOS to Winlink/TELPAC (on RF of course...)

wa7nwp wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Oct 4 23:07:54 EDT 2006

Goal...  To forward by packet with the Winlink system through their
Telpac gateways.

Using JNOS 2.0d on Windows XP (home..)

It was working with the original "broken" update to forward.c.  Then
when we fixed the compare string the forwarding quit.

So for the past couple weeks I've been diddling with just forwarding to
bbs's and pbbs's.

Tonight I was going to fix it.  Tried this.  Tried that.  Got it working
but that was a full time hack.  Finally realized I needed about the same
handling for the AX25 connections as for the Telpac telnet connection.
A couple stabs and the light bulb went on.

Setting the CRonly flag on the output as pretty easy.   I just used the
redundent 'c' of the ax25 forwarding logic.  a for ax25 connect and c
for connect to a telpac node.

==== forward.c line 1602 ====
#ifdef AX25
         case 'c':       /* allow 'c' for 'connect' as well */
		{
			struct usock *up;
			if ((up=itop(m->user)) != NULLUSOCK)
			    strcpy(up->eol,"\r" /*AX_EOL*/);  /* just CR */
		    }
         case 'a':
             if(argc < 3)
=====

Now how to get the telnet=1 flag set.  Looked a bit and then I noticed
something.   The  strstr(cc,"telpac") was searching the ENTIRE connect
command for the word telpac.  If if finds it, it switches to winlink
mode.   That gave me an opening to cheat...

Now when I do Telpac gateway forwarding, the invocation looks like:

--- from Forward.bbs ---
kd6ilo
ctelpac vhf kd6ilo-10 via k7idx
wl2k
---

The first C puts me in AX25 forwarding,  the additional 'telpac' turns
on Telpac mode.

And the best news of all - not only does it forward like before, but now
it usings FBB compressed forwarding.

Far out!!!

Now to get back to work running JNOS under Virtual PC so I can use the
virtual network card and do smtp/pop messaging between Airmail and JNOS.

73
Bill - WA7NWP