[nos-bbs] SSID issue detail

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Oct 4 18:02:58 EDT 2006

Seems like good advise Bob.
THANKS! (topic expansion that does not require response follows)...

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:45 -0700, kd7nm wrote:

> Hi Skip,
>
> What you're talking about here are two different issues.

Actually it runs deeper than jnos and two issues, but jnos is probably
destined to become a greater portion of the software mix.

> SSID's were developed as a means, within the AX.25 protocol,
> of supporting one ham having more than one station operating
> on the same frequency and LAN at the same time.

Yes - I get the "one-licensee" mentality that we are breaking here.  And
I'd like to resolve it without using the thought of "go ahead with
anything because it is an 'emergency' so anything goes".  I also see how
messy carrying the SSID everywhere can get...

> Convers extracts the callsign from the connection to use as
> a method of identifying a user.  Converse wasn't designed to
> sensibly interpret more than one connection under the same
> call, since it's a relatively rare circumstance that one ham
> will end up connecting via more than one TNC to the same
> convers network.

Yes - and this seems to apply for other services as well.  Mail for
example...  Now response mail ends up at a central mail queue and not at
the station with the SSID.

> However, if memory serves, convers servers
> can be told that a particular connection should use a
> different nickname.  That might be a way to handle multiple
> sites with a common base callsign.

HMMM

> Another way to deal with the problem is to use tactical
> callsigns in the "ax25 mycall" setting that uniquely
> identify each workstation, something like CTYEOC and FIRE12,
> then set up appropriate ID beacons, that contain the legal
> ID text (the host amateur callsign) that is transmitted
> every 9.9 minutes that the station is in use transmitting
> packets using that tactical callsign.  Not sure if JNOS
> knows how to do that, but it's probably worthy of
> consideration as an addition to the program, if not.

I like this thought - it seems to be a nice fit to our deployment
planning.  If it meets legal tests and software restraints, we could
train users on this model.  We have been developing toward a model using
mailto: title at workstation without having all the questions resolved...