[nos-bbs] SSID issue detail

kd7nm kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Wed Oct 4 14:45:41 EDT 2006

Hi Skip,

What you're talking about here are two different issues.

SSID's were developed as a means, within the AX.25 protocol,
of supporting one ham having more than one station operating
on the same frequency and LAN at the same time.

Convers extracts the callsign from the connection to use as
a method of identifying a user.  Converse wasn't designed to
sensibly interpret more than one connection under the same
call, since it's a relatively rare circumstance that one ham
will end up connecting via more than one TNC to the same
convers network.  However, if memory serves, convers servers
can be told that a particular connection should use a
different nickname.  That might be a way to handle multiple
sites with a common base callsign.

Another way to deal with the problem is to use tactical
callsigns in the "ax25 mycall" setting that uniquely
identify each workstation, something like CTYEOC and FIRE12,
then set up appropriate ID beacons, that contain the legal
ID text (the host amateur callsign) that is transmitted
every 9.9 minutes that the station is in use transmitting
packets using that tactical callsign.  Not sure if JNOS
knows how to do that, but it's probably worthy of
consideration as an addition to the program, if not.

73, Bob, KD7NM