[nos-bbs] JNOS <-> WL2K forwarding over telpac connection - notes

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Mar 7 13:10:10 EST 2006

Greetings all,

I've noticed that a few of you are trying to get JNOS to forward
with WL2K nodes over a telpac connection. With that in mind, I've
done a bit of playing myself.

Conclusion : It's not possible out of the box. I need to make a
             few changes in the code to get this working.

In the meantime, please don't try to telpac forward to WL2K servers
out there, you'll just tie up their systems, and possibly annoy the
sysops. Once we get it working, that's a different story I guess.

1) I put some debuggin in, and the first thing I noticed is that
   the end of line mapping when JNOS talks to WL2K is not correct,
   and I made some progress by adding the following to the top of
   the forward.c source file and recompiling it :

      #define MB_XFBB_KLUDGE

   It's noted that EARLY versions of XFBB use only CR line endings.

   Also, in conjunction with the above code change, you need to add
   the 'cronly' option to the forward.bbs entry (see next section).

   Failure to define the above results in the first character of each
   line disappearing, so what the connect script gets is stuff like :

     elcome to ...
     allsign :
     assword :

   Note that JNOS gobbles up the extra end of line (which of course
   does not exist, so the first of the next line is taken instead).

2) /jnos/spool/forward.bbs

The following forwarding entry is what I'm using, and in my opinion
it will work once I figure out a few more things. I got the script
to get as far as recognizing the 'Callsign :' prompt, but then it
*hangs* on me sending my callsign. It looks like what is being
sent out is also an end of line issue, which is what I am in
the process of figuring out as well.

Almost there ...

Here's an example of the forward.bbs entry to use once working ...

----------
ve4psc
tcp wl2kserver.somewhere.com 12001 cronly
@
@
@
+Callsign :