[nos-bbs] FTP subcommand failures

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 30 08:51:18 EDT 2006

The saga of file transfer continues...

FTP acted fine when establishing a remote site over RF.
My first problem was with "ldir" command - it reported "no files" when
trying to list /jnos directory.  Wrong answer.
After a "lcd ../" and "ldir" it successfully listed the contents of /.
Right answer.
After "lcd /jnos" then "ldir" repeated "no files".
After "lcd public" then "Ldir" reported "no files".  Wrong answer.
At this time I "put readme" and it transferred OK proving access to
files in the local directory works OK.
I did not test the full command including the filter spec.

The above demonstrates that "ldir" command is in trouble.
Jnos operates with root privileges so perms is not an issue.
The "/" directory did list so it seems to me "ldir" has trouble
accessing the local directory.
Anybody have insight into this one?

I had a second happening with the "restart" subcommand.
In this case I'm my own worst enemy - I mis-applied the command.
When one time my login to the remote site failed and I found myself at
the ">" prompt without an open link, I used the "restart" command and
jnos crashed.
OK you guys - I did not read the help document before jumping to the
wrong command / forgive me?
To make jnos more bullet proof this needs to go on the list of
improvements - misuse of the "restart" command needs to give a nasty
message to the user rather than crash the application...

73
de Skip k8rra k