[nos-bbs] BBS file transfer

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 19 09:56:07 EDT 2006

Something is amiss.
Maybe my understanding...

Using the BBS feature includes the "Upload" and "Download" commands.
The documentation says "transfer an ASCII file" and "Download and
store".
But I do not find a file to be transferred from the process.
I do find the file to either originate from the terminal, or be
displayed on the terminal.
The "terminal" seems like the wrong "device" to me...

Here is my expectation established by the documentation:
If there is an "X" file on the remote node, a "D" command should deposit
a new "X" file on my node.
If there is an "X" file on my node, a "U" command should deposit a new
"X" file on the remote node.
Permissions are honored.
Over-write happens after a message is responded to with a "Yes".
The "What" command shows all defaults in effect.

OK - the command would be more generic if it were more like the "copy"
command including both the source and destination file names.
But as long as a same-name-only transfer is OK, then the command is
usable...

Thus if I "what" my system before connecting and find a "X" file, then
after connecting and "U X" is complete the "X" file should be copied to
the remote node and be shown by a "what" on that node.

But jnos2.0d does not - what does happen is that the file contents are
displayed as session text on the terminal.
The "D" command lists the contents of the remote file on the terminal.
The "U" command expect the destination file content to be entered at the
terminal by the user in real time.

So - tell me what is going on?

73
de Skip k8rra k