[nos-bbs] Would like to introduce myself and get some help

Joe Landers ke4eue at ke4eue.org
Fri Jul 28 20:59:29 EDT 2006

Hello Everyone

I would like to say hello to everyone and thanks to the moderator for
letting me join this group. I hope I can get my some help here and
hopefully help answer questions when I have the opportunity. First
off I need some help with setting up JNOS 2.0 with linux fedora core
5 or get some suggestions on what I should use if this configuration
is not the way to go. I have had experience with Jnos 110m and DOS
years ago but I dropped out of it just lost interest but new interest
has pulled me back to it and I wanted to upgrade my system. So far I
setup fedora with no problems I have good communication with the
Internet . I have setup the TNC (AEA 900) and it is working with
minicom just fine. So I knew I had ttyS0 working ok and eth0 working
and the TNC is working . I set the TNC to KISS mode  afterwards I
downloaded Linux JNOS 2.0e and I used the installer program that was
offered . I also looked at my autoexec.NOS file and made a ip address
adjustment to my ampr.org  address. Telnet works on JNOS and linux I
logged in locally and it seemed to work so I fired it up and well the
TNC was not communicating with JNOS. I ran ifconfig under JNOS and it
sees VHF which is the TNC  tun0 for the gateway . loopback and encap
. Well I went to the Internet and found some web pages but they seem
a little outdated but I think I am finding that I need to configure
some files for A.X. 25 well the files they recommend don't seem to be
there anymore and I am not sure if this is what needs to be done now
or not. What I would like is some information on if I am on the right
track and what is recommended today . I would like to setup JNOS with
a gateway with the multi node TNC I have. I would like to also setup
mail service on JNOS and setup a full fledged BBS with the bells and
whistles I use to have . I know this could be a long thread here so
if direct communication would be better I am willing to go that route
. I used to be pretty good at JNOS but with the changes and lack of
info on the Internet I am finding myself feeling like a Newbie.

Thanks for reading
hope to get some suggestions and answers

Joe Landers
KE4EUE
Assistant Emergency Radio officer for Chesterfield Co. Va.
Owner: of the 145.390 repeater located in Chesterfield Co. Va.
Advanced Skywarn Spotter Central Va. VCFD0022
Director of Communications for Va. Special Olympics
IRLP Node Owner on SySop for nodes 4407 & 4860
Owner:Chesterfield RACES Mobile Communications Units