[nos-bbs] Would like to introduce myself and get some help

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 31 17:28:48 EDT 2006

Welcome aboard Joe - let me give a partial answer for you...

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 20:59 -0400, Joe Landers wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I would like to say hello to everyone and thanks to the moderator for
> letting me join this group. I hope I can get my some help here and
> hopefully help answer questions when I have the opportunity. First off
> I need some help with setting up JNOS 2.0 with linux fedora core 5 or
> get some suggestions on what I should use if this configuration is not
> the way to go.

Not many of us use FC-5 for a platform - it represents a bit of
"bleading edge" and some new issues with gcc and glibc.
I experienced a failure on FC-5 with jnos2.0e as distributed - but I did
not stick with the problem until I fully understood it.
Fact is I use FC-5 for my test platform under jnos2,0d(something)
successfully.
BUT I can not compile anything until some code syntax changes "to remain
up-to-date" or in-step with FC-5.
Earlier FC-4 seems to do everything and is "more stable?".
However I do NOT offer that as a recommended platform - only one data
point for your consideration.

>  I have had experience with Jnos 110m and DOS years ago but I dropped
> out of it just lost interest but new interest has pulled me back to it
> and I wanted to upgrade my system. So far I setup fedora with no
> problems I have good communication with the Internet . I have setup
> the TNC (AEA 900) and it is working with minicom just fine. So I knew
> I had ttyS0 working ok and eth0 working and the TNC is working . I set
> the TNC to KISS mode  afterwards I downloaded Linux JNOS 2.0e and I
> used the installer program that was offered . I also looked at my
> autoexec.NOS file and made a ip address adjustment to my ampr.org
> address.

At this point in your work plan, you and I have similar results.

> Telnet works on JNOS and linux I logged in locally and it seemed to
> work so I fired it up and well the TNC was not communicating with
> JNOS.

At this point in your work plan, you and I have a difference in results.
My experience is that 2.0e failed to execute on FC-5 - If you have it
executing you then have gone one more successful step that I have.

>  I ran ifconfig under JNOS and it sees VHF which is the TNC  tun0 for
> the gateway . loopback and encap .

It sounds like you are "close"...

>  Well I went to the Internet and found some web pages but they seem a
> little outdated but I think I am finding that I need to configure some
> files for A.X. 25 well the files they recommend don't seem to be there
> anymore and I am not sure if this is what needs to be done now or not.
> What I would like is some information on if I am on the right track
> and what is recommended today .

Maiko has a pretty good set of how-to stuff on his ve4klm site - it may
be shut down for the summer / he offered an alternative before vacation
I have not pursued personally.  If you "...# diff autoexec.nos [maikos
sample autoexec] " and can explain the the differences for your site,
then it "should work"...  (yes I know I've given you the incorrect
syntax by using the [bracketed text], but you have lots of choices how
to supply that parameter I assume you can do the correct syntax.)

>  I would like to setup JNOS with a gateway with the multi node TNC I
> have. I would like to also setup mail service on JNOS and setup a full
> fledged BBS with the bells and whistles I use to have . I know this
> could be a long thread here so if direct communication would be better
> I am willing to go that route . I used to be pretty good at JNOS but
> with the changes and lack of info on the Internet I am finding myself
> feeling like a Newbie.

If you take a coffee break - be prepared for re-training:-)

> Thanks for reading
> hope to get some suggestions and answers
>

> Joe Landers
> KE4EUE
> Assistant Emergency Radio officer for Chesterfield Co. Va.
> Owner: of the 145.390 repeater located in Chesterfield Co. Va.
> Advanced Skywarn Spotter Central Va. VCFD0022
> Director of Communications for Va. Special Olympics
> IRLP Node Owner on SySop for nodes 4407 & 4860
> Owner:Chesterfield RACES Mobile Communications Units

> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Best of luck to you.
I hope you will stick with it until you get what you want - it has
potential.

73
de Skip k8rra k