[nos-bbs] Missing something more basic?

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 22 21:42:13 EDT 2006

Yo Demetre,

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 23:55 +0300, sv1uy wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:19:23 -0700, Glenn Thomas wrote
>
> > Clearly a routing solution.  I suspect it becomes unmanageable to administer
>  > such a beast internationally.
> > As an example:
> > I'm now assigned 44.102.132.20 for say 6 months - but I'm not installed into
> > DNS yet so you will not find k8rra.ampr.org.
> > Whereas this situation is manageable today, consider applying it under
> > emergency conditions when you might NEED to find k8rra....
> > I believe private LANs and NAT offers a more manageable approach - not perhaps
> > ideal
>
> Hi Glenn,
>
> Of course you are in the DNS alright. Here is what I get when I try to telnet
> you from my LINUX box:
>
> sv1uy at home-0:~$ telnet k8rra.ampr.org
> Trying 44.102.132.20

I'll be son-of-a-gun...!

> I get no reply so the problem is not DNS, it is your local AMPRnet Gateway
> that has no proper AMPRnet connectivity.

OK this is something we can work on...

> I wish more people involved in JNOS and generally in AMPRnet applications,
> would use 44.x.x.x addresses. Don't forget they are real addresses. I don't
> think we should drop network 44. It is ours and we could all have good
> connectivity. As for emergency don't forget that Ham radio is not about
> emergency. It is a hobby and although emergency comms can be done to help in a
> disaster, they are not the primary purpose of ham radio. We have other tools
> for emergency, although if AMPRnet is set properly beforehand, there is no
> problem with emergency comms. This happened to me when Athens was hit by
> earthquake back in 1998 and nothing was working for a day except for our
> AMPRnet GATEWAY in Athens and HF/VHF/UHF radio. No telephones and no mobile
> phones were working. AMPRnet was OK though since it had a leased line.

I could not agree with you any more strongly.  In basketball yours is a
"slam dunk".  And to that end I'd like something in place more or less
normally so if we are faced with a true emergency I'm not starting from
zero to put it in place, tweek it to make it useful.  I hope someday to
find a plausible reason for the waning use of 44...  I also must admit
to an ulterior motive as well - I expect to live and cruise off shore
for 3 to 5 years away from my land home thus I expect to apply what I
learn in that time as a partial solution for keeping in touch.

> ---
> 73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
> e-mail: sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
> AX25 PBBS: SV1UY at SV1UY.ATH.GRC.EU