[nos-bbs] nos and wl2k interaction #1

Tim Gorman ab0wr at ab0wr.net
Thu Feb 23 16:09:35 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 11:29, Andre v Schayk wrote:
> Torsten Harenberg schreef:
> > Hi Skip,
> >
> > I also started experimenting with JNOS in conjunction with WL2K. But
> > my first idea was to connect via an Internet connection, which I
> > haven't managed yet (and spare time was very short).
> >
> > George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
> >> My first question is "Is insertion of the extra space normal for
> >> non-nos (that means Paclink on windows?) users too?"
> >
> > If you use the Airmail Client, you don't see any extra spaces
> > inserted. Neither you do if you use the Web Access facility. So it
> > could indeed be a cr-lf issue, as all their servers run on Windows
> > machines.
> >
> > The only issue I found using Airmail (besides that it is closed-source
> > and I cannot run it on my Apple PowerBook, that's why I'm looking into
> > JNOS) is that attachments have problems when they have extensions in
> > their names (for example: sample.pdf didn't work as a mail attachment
> > while sample_pdf worked)
> >
> > Sorry that I can't help with more info.
> >
> > 73s
> >
> >  Torsten DL1THM
>
> I have a form of winlink forwarding set up from jnos.
> I say form of because I don´t use fbb forwarding but rather the email
> subsystem.
> I forwarded the winlink.org adress to my jnos adress and use my isp smtp
> server for outgoing email.
> Another way that works is using jnos as an email client on paclink and
> let packlink do the forwarding but this has the disadvantage that you
> are limited to one account and the associated tacktical adresses.
>
> 73 de Andre PE1RDW

I have done the same. I use the jnos smtp server to forward email to my linux
smtp server on the local network. The linux server then forwards email to the
Internet via my ISP. This lets me route email addresses on the local network
to jnos for delivery as well. I have four email addresses from my ISP that
can be used for delivery of mail from the external Internet. That's not many
but enough for me to experiment with. If I ever need more I'll have to work a
deal with my ISP to be classified as a host. The other option is to set up as
an amprnet host and have external email routed as user at myhost.ampr.org. By
setting up jnos nodes in various locations (e.g. EOC's, Salvation Army Corp,
etc) and configuring them as ampr.net hosts, I think you could just do
inter-location email over the local ampr.net packet facilities between the
various jnos smtp/POP servers.

I'm still learning all this and the going is slow. I'm not an expert and there
isn't much "teaching" documentation available on how to do it all.

But I *do* know you can forward Internet email out of jnos to the wide world.
It works fine. You can telnet into the node using tcp-ip from another jnos
node or you can just log in using plain old packet. Both work fine with the
outgoing smtp server.

tim ab0wr