[nos-bbs] user notes - properly setting up 'mycall' and 'bbscall' ...

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Aug 25 14:39:56 EDT 2006

Greetings Maiko,

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:

> One problem that has stumped me (and anyone connecting to my system)
> for a long time, is why do I have to hit a key to get the BBS prompt
> after I connect to my JNOS system from outside ?
>
> In other words, why am I not getting the jumpstart ?
>
> The manual clearly states, make sure 'ax25 mycall' and 'ax25 bbscall'
> are NOT the same ! Well, what do you know, mine were identical.
>
> So now, my configuration is set to the following :
>
>     ax25 mycall ve4klm-1
>     ax25 alias klm
>     ax25 bbscall ve4klm
>
> Jumpstart now works like a charm. Any connect to 've4klm' results
> in receiving an instant BBS prompt. No more key to hit to get it.

   MYCALL is the callsign of the "Node".  xNOS is primarily a router,
afterall, the BBS stuff was added later. As with NetROM and other 'node'
devices, it does not give a prompt but instead sits there waiting for
input (presumably a command from another node).  No logon banner is needed
when all another node needs to do is say 'c ax0 nx9abc' and get on with
setting up a next connection.

   ALIAS and BBSCALL are the bulletin board.  These are where the "Humans"
connect.  And Humans need logon banners and alphabet-soup command line
prompts :-)   Sometimes we set the ALIAS to the root callsign when a JNOS
node has replaced a long established MSYS BBS and the users are so
engrained into using just the station callsign to connect.

   Here in Michigan we have standardised our SSID's as follows:
      -0  Home stations
      -1  Home mailboxes (build into the TNC)
   *  -3  Full-service BBS's (JNOS, MSYS, FBB, etc.)
   *  -4  Multiported Network Nodes (JNOS, NetROM, etc.)
   *  -5  Keyboard to Keyboard or 'console' connections
   *  -6  CONVerse bridge
      -10 WinLink TelPac nodes

  (*) All used by our JNOS Hamgate nodes.

   Hope that helps to make it a bit clearer...

   Keep up the good work, sir!  We all appreciate it.

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          o Chair, ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
            [www.MI-DRG.org]
          o Michigan AMPRnet IP Address Coordinator
            [www.mi-drg.org/ip-addr-form.html]

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |