[nos-bbs] Jnos & windows

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Apr 28 16:04:17 EDT 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Jay Nugent wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
>> I suppose one could run Linux *NOS on a Windows box using VMware.
>
>    Or run "Co-Linux" on the WinBlows machine.  Then run JNOS under
> Co-Linux.  Then you get all the benefits of JNOS and Linux -AND-
> you still
> have the virii and pains, err, ah, I mean, the benefits of
> WinBlows ;-)
>
>    But if you want to leave your Packet station on the air 7x24,
> why waste
> the energy on WinBlows?  Any low-power junk PC running "headless"
> will do.
> So on trash day watch for any junk PC being thrown away, like a low
> end
> Pentium (P133) or even a 486.  Install DOS, install a cheap NE2000
> ethernet card (and the appropriate Crynwr driver), and install JNOS
> on it.
> Since it's headless, you simply telnet into it from ANY computer on
> your
> local LAN to use the station :-)

Better yet install Linux on it.  Back around 1997 I converted a JNOS
headless gateway running DOS to Linux (an early version of Debian)
and the performance was much more stable.  This was on a 486-80 with
32 MB of RAM.  That machine has since been upgraded to a P133, but
the last I heard (I moved in 2000) it was still running flawlessly 24/7.