[nos-bbs] Jnos & windows

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Apr 28 14:25:36 EDT 2006

Greetings,

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I suppose one could run Linux *NOS on a Windows box using VMware.

   Or run "Co-Linux" on the WinBlows machine.  Then run JNOS under
Co-Linux.  Then you get all the benefits of JNOS and Linux -AND- you still
have the virii and pains, err, ah, I mean, the benefits of WinBlows ;-)

   But if you want to leave your Packet station on the air 7x24, why waste
the energy on WinBlows?  Any low-power junk PC running "headless" will do.
So on trash day watch for any junk PC being thrown away, like a low end
Pentium (P133) or even a 486.  Install DOS, install a cheap NE2000
ethernet card (and the appropriate Crynwr driver), and install JNOS on it.
Since it's headless, you simply telnet into it from ANY computer on your
local LAN to use the station :-)

      --- Jay WB8TKL

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |