[nos-bbs] CPU consumption change after 4(?) days

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Apr 14 00:10:19 EDT 2006

George wrote :

> Yes - I am using a USB/RS-232 device ...

I'm concerned about the fact that USB is replacing RS-232. There are
many applications in the control field, modems, tncs, robotics is a
big one. Although in all fairness, alot of robotics stuff is now in
the form of PIC controller boards that are programmed using USB.

Writing USB drivers for JNOS was a thought, but that thought didn't
last very long :-) There are apparently ALOT of different standards
to deal with, each USB vendor seems to have an implementation a tiny
bit different than the others (or so I read). As a result, I can not
imagine supporting such software - it could be time consuming.

Solution ? How about a multiport serial I/O card ?

I use an older STB 4 port serial card. I think anyone running NOS should
consider getting a modern multiport serial card, and the price does not
seem to be that bad. Easy-Sync for example has them for under $30, and
these are modern units if I am not mistaken with full PCI support, etc.

In my professional opinion, I think one is saved ALOT of headache by
using true /dev/tty ports, and not using the pseudo tty ports created
by the USB <-> RS232 converter drivers. Get a multiport I/O card !

What's the cost of a USB <-> RS232 converter ? Would that money
be better spent getting a MODERN multiport serial I/O card ?

I think so. BUT, it would be nice to hear from others that have some
real experience with the multiport cards. Please share this with us,
especially if you have had BAD experiences with them as well. That's
only fair. It can't all be good of course, but I'm happy with mine.

Maiko