[nos-bbs] CPU consumption change after 4(?) days

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 13 20:41:10 EDT 2006

To add an addendum in the same thread...

On day 5 for jnos my workstation with KDE froze requiring a re-boot.
Jnos continued to consume lots of CPU doing "nothing" prior to crash.
NO - I don't know the reason, I don't blame jnos, but crashing is highly
unusual for my Linux.
What the crash caused is to apply all available updates and then pick up
where I left off...

In restarting jnos I had some problem with "attach asy ttyUSB0 ..." as
"not found".
Yes - I am using a USB/RS-232 device - thus far thought to be good.
I consider this a "clue" to my cpu issue - in fact it is the culprit.

When the USB device works OK during and after start-up, jnos likes it.
When the USB device is unplugged, jnos apparently looks for it even
though idle thus saturating the CPU.
When the USB device is re-plugged, jnos user CPU reduces somewhat but
the system increases so CPU remains saturated.
When jnos is restarted (with the normal USB device) all returns to
normal.
The effects are repeatable (twice).

Thus I conclude the CPU useage I reported is linked to the USB/RS-232
device.
Perhaps I have a marginal USB connector.
Perhaps if lots of USB devices become used then jnos will need some
exception processing added, but not now...
The system crash?  Nah - the jury is still out / FC-5 may have a bug or
two...
I do like the feature set of FC-5 however - especially the software
management improvements.

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 20:23 -0400, George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I find the following interesting and not (so far) a problem:
> Jnos is today in her 4th day of continuous operation since being
> started.
> My platform is FC-5 - jnos has truly little work to do and is
> generally idle.
>
> At start, CPU consumption was normal - once in a while jnos would
> contribute less than a percent (in 3-sec sample period).
> Today, jnos contributes a little less than 30% as user, 60(+)% as
> system.
> The change was probably in the past 24-hr period.
> Say 1/2 dozen other processes contribute a few percent so the total is
> say 96% CPU useage.
>
> The remaining processes seem to have little trouble taking CPU for
> response to their own needs, so there is small perceptible change in
> over-all response time from the workstation.  The only change I've
> found is on the KDE desktop switch-over.  I have a 6-desktop
> configuration and at random times on only selected application windows
> is the change delayed over the normal say 1/4 second response time.
> The worst delay might be 8 seconds.
>
> Thus my question to all:  Am I alone in this effect?
>
> I'm going to allow jnos to continue this way for a few more days to
> see if it is a precursor to failure of some sort.
> Let me know if there is something I should look for?
> JNOS simply doesn't release the CPU so it can sleep?
> I have no idea how I might have initiated this condition.
>
> 73
> de Skip k8rra k

Respectfully submitted:

73