[nos-bbs] Initial installer results - pretty good...

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 15 20:59:12 EST 2005

To pass on an experience here @ K8RRA

I installed exactly per Maiko's installation notes using the new
installer.
The date on the ...gz is 11/3/05 (download date).
The TNC is a KAM-98 to a FT-847 set at 145.070 > a local hot spot.
The op sys is FC-4 using /dev/ttyS1 @ 9600B
THE INSTALL WENT SMOOTHLY - all questions are trivial... [GREAT
INSPIRATION MAIKO].

I used the manual startup without problem.
I do question:  the version reported is "2.0c5b" - I expected to see
"2.0d"...
One note about crashing - it disturbs root session terminal as follows:

      * the terminal no longer echos characters entered
      * upon CR there is no \n so the output wraps around the end of
        line(s)

For me, the workaround is "# reset" to reinit the session.

Now for the crashes - there were three before I hung it up for tonight:

     1. REGISTER crashed after I entered my first name
     2. JHEARD crashed immediately
     3. SEND crashed immediately

Interestingly enough, functions causing crashes 1 and 2 healed
themselves after restarting jnos.
I did not retest crash 3.
I suspect the crash is caused by a "first time thru the routine" (file
creation?) problem?
Of course I will test this again later to see what repeats.
In any case - I'm now REGISTERed and JHEARD reported maybe 6 stations
from the (interrupted to restart) 1/2 hour on-line session.

I consider my evening went well.
Thanks Maiko for making it (pretty) painless.