[nos-bbs] jnos2.0b, success but need help>>>

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed May 11 09:22:17 EDT 2005

Hi Steven,

I'm glad to hear the positive things you had to say
about going back to JNOS.

If possible, I would suggest you move up to a later version
of linux (I use slackware 9.1). Or move up to Red Hat 9 or
whatever you're most comfortable with. That way the TUN
support will be more *automatic*. For Red Hat 7.2, it's
not so *automatic*.

> Jnos attaches o.k., but when it shells out to use the
> linux ifconfig, it reports that the interface does not
> exist.

Check the following URL for some notes I found :

 http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/os390/ctctun/redhat72tuntap.html

I'm sure there are other notes lying around the internet that
are similar in nature. Bottom line is that you have to add TUN
support yourself for the distribution you are using.

> i enabled ip:tunneling in the kernel. that is the only
> thing i saw relevent to TUN.

You also need to create the tun devices. See the URL for hints.

Maiko