[nos-bbs] re: JNOS without a tnc

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Jul 19 12:16:32 EDT 2005

Bob wrote :

> For linux users there is soundmodem, which does a number of modes (fsk,
> afsk, psk, newpsk) using a KISS interface.  I haven't tried it with
> JNOS, but see no reason why it shouldn't work just fine.

Exactly. I posted some notes on June 30 on how to use it with JNOS ...

Here it is again - Go to Thomas Sailer's page :

  http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem/

installed the soundmodem driver on my fedora 3 box at work :

   rpm -ivh soundmodem-0.9-1.i386.rpm

configured it (basic afsk modulator, KISS packet i/o mode) :

   soundmodemconfig

started the soundmodem drive :

   service soundmodem start

AND then in my autoexec.nos, add something like the following :

   attach asy soundmodem0 - ax25 vhf 4096 256 1200
   ifconfig vhf description "sndcard"

Then ran JNOS, and tried a connect from the JNOS console :

   c vhf ve4rag

Bingo ! Instant packet out the soundcard !!!

Of course you'll need to build a PTT interface (no big deal),
and you'll have to experiment with configuration and settings.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM