[nos-bbs] Jnos without a tnc

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Jul 19 12:24:30 EDT 2005

Steven Stimpson schreef:

> You all probably heard of mixW, the multimode
> soundcard software. i have done extensive testing
> on h.f. packet and it actually performs better than my
> 3 month old mfj tnc. the waterfall on packet
> is addictive.
>
>  it will emulate a kiss tnc. you download a bogus com port
> driver, and it creates two virtual com ports. you then set
> mixW to say, fake com port 4, and attach asy com3 in jnos,
> and the two virtual ports act like a null modem cable
> has been inserted between them.
>
> since this doesnt work in linux, it most likely will be of
> interest only to ham's new to jnos who want to get on vhf.
>
>  However, some sysops might take interest in the
> fact that you can add another vhf or hf port, with the
> virtual com ports your regular comm's wont be affected,
> and the virtual com ports can be set from com 1 to com 100, yes
> com 100 lol.
>
> also recieves pactor, and the vhf modem does 2400 and 9K6.
>

> just some food for thought.
> best 73,
> steven n1ohx

There are a few option out there, mixw has the best for hf packet I
think because of the waterfall display.
In the past a regulary used option was flexnet, the soundmodem used in
flexnet is actualy the same as used in linux sparc and I think mac too
it has quite a few modes including fsk upto 38400 and newqpsk (it´s
suposed to work very well in fm).
A groundbreaker in recent years is agwpe, using a program called xglue
you can attach all agwpe ports to jnos using axudp, this has the problem
of attaching the jnos tcp/ip stack to the windows tcp/ip stack, perhaps
using slip and virtual comports can solve that problem.

73 de Andre PE1RDW