[nos-bbs] Jnos without a tnc

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Jul 19 12:08:48 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 09:59:53AM -0400, Steven Stimpson wrote:
> You all probably heard of mixW, the multimode
> soundcard software. i have done extensive testing
> on h.f. packet and it actually performs better than my
> 3 month old mfj tnc. the waterfall on packet
> is addictive.
>
>  it will emulate a kiss tnc. you download a bogus com port
> driver, and it creates two virtual com ports. you then set
> mixW to say, fake com port 4, and attach asy com3 in jnos,
> and the two virtual ports act like a null modem cable
> has been inserted between them.
>
> since this doesnt work in linux, it most likely will be of
> interest only to ham's new to jnos who want to get on vhf.
>
>  However, some sysops might take interest in the
> fact that you can add another vhf or hf port, with the
> virtual com ports your regular comm's wont be affected,
> and the virtual com ports can be set from com 1 to com 100, yes
> com 100 lol.
>
> also recieves pactor, and the vhf modem does 2400 and 9K6.

For linux users there is soundmodem, which does a number of modes (fsk,
afsk, psk, newpsk) using a KISS interface.  I haven't tried it with
JNOS, but see no reason why it shouldn't work just fine.

73,
Bob, N7XY

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net