[nos-bbs] getting mailbox to work

Tim Gorman ab0wr at ab0wr.net
Wed Jul 6 18:23:14 EDT 2005

All,

Finally got around to loading up jnos and compiling it on my Suse 9.1. After
finally figuring out I didn't have ip forwarding turned on in the Linux box I
got the jnos networking to go.

However, I'm still having trouble getting the mailboxes to work. When I log
into the bbs as my call (ab0wr) I see no messages waiting and a "l" command
doesn't list any out. I've sent myself several messages. I've even tried
sending messages to my main internet address with no luck. A "smtp kick"
command gets a "L" put in the status column for the smtp messages but nothing
ever happens. I do see the messages sitting in spool/mqueue.

What am I missing? Here's what I have in autoexec.nos for the mailboxes and
smtp:

 # -------------------------------------------
#       mailbox setup

smtp ga tg6124.ab0wr.net
smtp usemx off
smtp timer 300
mbox haddress ab0wr.ks.usa.noam
mbox fwdinfo Internet<->AX.25
mbox zipcode 66609
mbox smtptoo on
mbox header on
mbox nobid off
start forward
mbox timer 3600
mbox secure on
mbox newmail on
mbox sendquery off
mbox nrid on
mbox tdisc 600
smtp quiet on
#

The messages show up in spool/mail.log. Here's and example:
  Wed Jul  6 15:18:09 2005 queue job 24 To: tgorman2 at cox.net From:
ab0wr at bagend.ab0wr.net

Under spool/mail I have a file ab0wr.usr with a single line of "ab0wr 0".

Where do you suggest I go to get a good, detailed explanation of the possible
commands and setup entries for jnos and what they do? It's been kind of hit
and miss on figuring some of this out so far. I'm used to that with Linux
stuff but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel it will save me some time.

Thanks,

tim ab0wr