[nos-bbs] getting mailbox to work

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Jul 7 04:22:21 EDT 2005

Greetings Tim,

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Tim Gorman wrote:

> Finally got around to loading up jnos and compiling it on my Suse 9.1. After
> finally figuring out I didn't have ip forwarding turned on in the Linux box I
> got the jnos networking to go.
>
> However, I'm still having trouble getting the mailboxes to work. When I log
> into the bbs as my call (ab0wr) I see no messages waiting and a "l" command
> doesn't list any out. I've sent myself several messages. I've even tried
> sending messages to my main internet address with no luck. A "smtp kick"
> command gets a "L" put in the status column for the smtp messages but nothing
> ever happens. I do see the messages sitting in spool/mqueue.

   Have you started the smtp server (start smtp)?  It must be running to
process the incoming email and place it into the destination inboxes.

   Also check to make sure your 'rewrite' rules are not getting in the way
of delivering the mail.  Rename or delete the 'rewrite' file to assure
yourself that local mail delivery is working first before moving on to the
more complex task of delivering email to distant machines.

> Where do you suggest I go to get a good, detailed explanation of the possible
> commands and setup entries for jnos and what they do? It's been kind of hit
> and miss on figuring some of this out so far. I'm used to that with Linux
> stuff but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel it will save me some time.

   The "NOSintro" book was an excellent resource, however it has been out
of print for many years.  But all is not lost as much of the book is
available online at:  http://www.ian.wade.care4free.net/nosintro.htm

   Hope this helps.

      --- Jay WB8TKL

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |