[nos-bbs] NOSAPRS Digipeating

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon Apr 25 21:49:01 EDT 2005

Bill wrote :

> The JNOSAPRS digi isn't "finished."

And probably won't be either. What is there was purely experimental
and since perhaps only 1 or 2 people have ever even claimed to have
tried to use it over the past couple of years (and without any bug
reports to boot), that's not much incentive for a developer like me
to spend alot of time working on :-)

I haven't abandoned the project, it's just that when there is a
total user base of perhaps no more than 20 people world wide, again
there is not much incentive to spend alot of time on it. I do what
I can with the free time I have.

> WIDE2(-0) packets are retransmitted as WIDE2-15...

Noted.

> Do we have the TRACE mode ... standard of the new Paradigm ?

Noted.

> Also in the paradigm it's important to trap some paths and
> not handle them.  For example:  WIDE4, WIDE5, and WIDE6.

Noted.

> How's this for a can of worms ?

Not bad :-) NOSaprs was meant as an Igate application, not
so much a digipeater. There's alot better software out there
to do the digipeating functions, like DigiNed for example.

I can add those features, or try, but if only 1 or 2 people
in the whole world will ever use NOSaprs for that, I have to
question whether it's worth spending the time writing the
code for it.

None the less, thanks for the ideas Bill !

PS: I wouldn't use NOSaprs digipeating on a busy APRS channel,
probably get people complaining at you. It's experimental, and
obviously needs work. The source is there for those who don't
want to wait for me to do it.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM