[nos-bbs] Re: AXUDP and APRS

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Apr 12 14:58:59 EDT 2005

> I'm experimenting.   First step is to try and get a couple Linux boxes
> passing > AX25/UDP packets back and forth.  Then I should be able to
> add JNOS to the mix.

I'm still experimenting.  A couple more trys and I should have it working
at least locally between JNOS and Linux (on the same box).

This is way too hard.

In APRS, you can "telnet rotate.aprs.net 14501" and be receiving data.  Add a simple
password to that and you're part of the system.

Why can't we have something like:

  "attach virtual-asy rotate.ampr2.net callsign <password>"

Given the incredibly powerful (not to mention nifty, neat and cool) tools we have,
the cost of entry in time, effort and education is far higher then it should be.
Maybe that's why APRS is growing like it is and AX*P packet isn't.

What can we do to simply and improve this?

Bill - WA7NWP