[nos-bbs] Re: AXUDP and APRS

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Apr 12 15:54:42 EDT 2005

Bill Vodall schreef:

>>I'm experimenting.   First step is to try and get a couple Linux boxes
>>passing > AX25/UDP packets back and forth.  Then I should be able to
>>add JNOS to the mix.
>>

>I'm still experimenting.  A couple more trys and I should have it working
>at least locally between JNOS and Linux (on the same box).
>
>This is way too hard.
>
>In APRS, you can "telnet rotate.aprs.net 14501" and be receiving data.  Add a simple
>password to that and you're part of the system.
>
>Why can't we have something like:
>
>  "attach virtual-asy rotate.ampr2.net callsign <password>"
>
>Given the incredibly powerful (not to mention nifty, neat and cool) tools we have,
>the cost of entry in time, effort and education is far higher then it should be.
>Maybe that's why APRS is growing like it is and AX*P packet isn't.
>
>What can we do to simply and improve this?
>
>Bill - WA7NWP

Sounds like you want a kind of axtcp (ax25 ecapsaled in tcp/ip) that
alows to set up a bidirectional link initiated from one side.
I´m not sure what the costs in overhead are for that but agwpe is doing
something simular with the remote radioport sharing.
the protocol that agwpe uses is not open tough so if someone wants to
use that it will take some reverse enginering.

73 de Andre PE1RDW