[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse ?

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Wed Jul 27 13:52:13 EDT 2005

>> Considering a large majority (all?) of the new innovative sound card
>> modulations have come out of Europe over the last 10 years, I suspect
>> what
>> you are fore-telling has already come to pass.
>
> Hmmm, Joe Taylor still lives in Princeton, NJ, USA and has developed more
> sound card modes than are used on HF.  FSK441 for meterior scatter, JT6M
> for 6m EME, JT65 for weak signal EME, JT44 and older EME mode.  He's also
> working on a new EME mode.

Yeap, I was talking about HF. AFAIK, Joe's software is just for VHF/UHF
(meteor scatter and EME) although I imagine it could be used on HF.

> Wasn't MFSK16 done by ZL1BPU?  Isn't ZL1 New Zealand? :)

Yes, that is New Zealand. However, MFSK's roots are with Picolo, which was
developed in Great Britian during WW2. MFSK16 was first coded into
software by IZ8BLY (an italian) although I believe Murry certainly
contributed to the design.

But neither of them are U.S. hams.